Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Cabbage Fusion

A few of weeks ago I was in Charlottesville, VA for the State swimming finals in which my youngest son was a participant. The event went for two days which meant we needed to spend the weekend and discover the town. We met someone in the old market area of the historic district and he took us to this Himalayan, Indian fusion restaurant. There is where I first had this amazing cabbage dish. It was made with green cabbage, mushrooms and some other assorted items. It was delicious. I was determined to recreate this in my own kitchen. My first attempt was spectacular; at least according to my wife. So I told everyone how great this was and they all wanted the recipe. Well, time passed and I kind of forgot exactly what went into this dish. So tonight I tried to recreate it. I'm not 100% sure it is the same but it was good. So here is what I did tonight:

heat a large skillet
when hot add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the following
1/2 head of green cabbage sliced about 1/4 inch slices or smaller.
enough red cabbage sliced the same just to add some color
2 small yellow onions, halved and sliced
1/4 to 1/2 cup of thinly sliced green and red bell pepper
2 green onions thinly sliced
1 pint, more or less, of mushrooms quartered
salt, pepper and cayenne to taste (take it a little easy on the salt)
Soy sauce to taste (this adds a salty earthy smokiness)
at least 1 teaspoon of garam masala (to taste)
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (to taste)
now here is the real kicker, I have this old bottle of austi spumanti in my fridge, it has aged to the point where it is almost a brandy, I add about 1/2 cup of this to help steam everything. You can use a nice white wine or a cheap brandy to do the same.

Turn this frequently, cooking till mostly softened but still partially crunchy. Enjoy! Low fat, high fiber and full of vitamins! Not to mention YUMMY!

1 comment:

trollingking said...

I have made some minor adjustments to this recipe and it is even better now. Don't use soy sauce, it turns everything brown which is unappealing. And instead of the aged austi spumanti use dry vermouth. I also put in two julienned zucchini this time which added a little more depth to the overall flavor. When it was ready this time I put it in a tortilla with some panko crusted tillapia and WOW, was that delicious!